스킵네비게이션

All menu

History of Busan Medical Center

Font size Print

The pronephros of Busan Medical Center is
The first western governmental Medical Center.

The modern medical medicine got to come to Korea through two courses. One is for treatment of the Japanese residents in Pusan which is the base of land invasion for expansion of its colonialism. And the other one can be the inflow by USA for missionary work.

1876

The governmental Medical Center' in Busan Established in 1876

The first western hospital that we generally know is royal Gwanhyewon (Widespread Relief House) established by Horace N. Allen who was a missionary in Feb. 29th, 1885 (the 22nd year of Gojong). But in fact, it is the 'governmental medical center' established in Busan by the Japanese Government in 1876 which was 9 years ahead than it (the 13th years of Gojong).

First, about the establishment of Gwanghyewon (Widespread Relief House) by missionary work, the American doctor, Horace N. Allen did the missionary activities in Shanghai, China. But he could not accomplish the big results in it. And he decided to come to Joseon which is the hiding country, came to it as the official doctor under the American embassy for the purpose of treating employees of it and foreign residents and did the missionary activities. After 2 months since he came to Joseon, The Gapsin coup which had the pivotal effects on Korean modern medical science took place in Dec. 4th, 1884 by Ok-gyun Kim and Yeong-ik Min who is a nephew of Empress Myeongseong got to be seriously wounded. The surgical operation by Allen saved Yeong-ik Min who was in a critical condition after treatment of three months.

Horace N. Allen who had the confidence of officials of the country as well as Gojong and Empress Myeongseong got to open Gwanghyewon (Widespread Relief House) with the meaning of spreading kindness broadly receiving a house of Yeong-sik Hong who was condemned to death for getting involved in Gapsin coup. After 15 days, the name of it was changed to Jejungwon (Widespread Relief House) with the meaning of saving the public broadly. And it became the pronephros of Severance Hospital and the Medical School of Yonsei University by Mr. Underwood who came to Joseon in the same year.

Ahead of this, Yeongjong-do was occupied by Japanese warship as three years had passed since Gojong directly governed the country after Daewongun was fallen. And the military of Joseon was defeated. And Jemulp Port was opened as Joseon and Japan Protection Agreement was concluded and then Wonsan and Busan Port were done.

1885

Changed to the Public Hospital.

Pusanpo which was a small fishing village with 10 thousand people in the latter era of the Joseon Dynasty got to make much exchanges with Japan as the ports were opened. The governmental medical center operated by the Japanese navy and army was born in Nov. 13th, 1876 as the Japanese government sent Busan the Japanese army doctors to treat Japanese people and soldiers who were staying in it.

The purpose of the establishment was to install the strategic medical clinic as the base of the land invasion for expansion of militarism unlike Gwanhyewon (Widespread Relief House). But it is 9 ahead than Gwanhyewon (Widespread Relief House). Our people dislike and be shameful about humiliation of Japanese invasion. So it is thought that we do not want to recognize it as the first hospital in Korea because it was established by Japanese people. But we think that we should know our history right because the humiliating history is also ours.

The officials in Joseon participated in the opening ceremony of the medical clinic. It treated 2998 japanese persons and 729 Joseon ones (this fact was reported in No. 33 of Hanseong Sunbo in 1878.). And as a plague was endemic in Apr. and May, 1877 and dysentery was endemic in Jun. and Jul, 1877, many people died. But many people received benefits by the modern medical techniques of the medical clinic.

Since then, every 15th was decided as the vaccinic inoculation date. But there was small Joseon people and most of them were Japanese persons. Mr. Seok-yeong Ji who is the father of vaccination came to the first medical clinic to learn Vaccination in Jongdugugam(種痘龜鑑) which is the western medical techniques published by China because he was very much interested in it in Oct. 1879. And he learned the reality of it during vaccination from Doskka who was the Japanese naval surgeon. Maybe, there are little persons who know this fact.

Japanese persons who lived in Taemado(Tsushima) came to Busan to be treated before liberation of 8.15. And many people in Taemado and the old persons in Busan know that emergency patients came to Busan by ship. The medical clinic operated by officers and navy men got to change its name to the public hospital as the local government of Japanese residents in Busan was generated in 1881 and it consisted of the first president of the hospital, Wugumokhak (佑久木學), two doctors, a assistant, two pharmacists, two persons who were responsible for general affairs and two persons who was responsible for small things.

1947 Busan Municipal Hospital,

1950 Military Hospital

After that, as its name was changed to The Private Hospital Located in Busan in 1906 and Busan Governmental Hospital in 1914, its address got to move to #10, Ami-dong 1-ga which is the place of Pusan National Hospital now.

In addition to liberation, the name of Busan Governmental Hospital was changed to Busan Municpal Hospital in 1947 and it was used as the military hospital. The military hospital was changed to Busan Medical University and Hospital by ordinance of the president in Nov. 1st, 1956 and has been located in that place until now. And Busan Medical Center was moved to Wanwol-dong in 1956, Bujeon-dong in 1962 and Yeonsan-dong in 1968 by the name of Busan Municipal Hospital. Its name was changed to Local Official Busan Municipal Medical Center in 1982. And it was newly built and moved to Geoje-dong, Yeonje-gu in Dec. 2001 and has treated patients as the hospital of the latest style with the size of total 500 beds in the building with nine stories above ground and two underground levels of land, 99,640 square meters and floor space, 38,333 square meters.